Being and Time, Martin Heidegger, Division 2 commencing June 8

We’re planning our foray into the second division of Being and Time, with a start date of 8 June at Auckland Central Library, Te Marama Room 6 – 7:30 pm. We will read the book over 6 fortnights. For a full schedule click here

Martin Heidegger’s Sein und Zeit, Being and Time is one of the significant philosophical texts of the 20th Century. First published in 1927, the book has exerted a huge influence on both philosophy, and other areas as diverse as architecture, contemporary art, social and political theory, psychotherapy, psychiatry and theology. Hubert Dreyfuss* described Being and Time as “both a systematization of the existential insights of Kierkegaard and Nietzsche and a radicalization of Husserl’s phenomenological account of intentionality.”

Last year we read Division 1 over 7 fortnights.

3 thoughts on “Being and Time, Martin Heidegger, Division 2 commencing June 8

1. Oh awesome, Division 2. I would be super interested this. I’m still working my way through Division 1, I’m up to understanding and interpretation, but I can pick up the pace and try to be finished by June.

What time will the reading group take place? I work at Auckland uni and finish work at 6pm each day.

Cheers 🙂

• Hi Todd,
      Usually we start around 6pm and its somewhere relatively central like the city library – we’re just waiting to hear back about the room before we confirm the final dates

• I’ve updated the schedule and we start on 8 June – You’re welcome to turn up a little late (we’re not super formal and understand teleportation isn’t a viable option yet)